With the evolution of our four seasons, Head Gardener, Teresa Sciglibaglio, showcases the ever-changing Gardens at Willows Lodge and shares her tips for the home gardener.
SPRING GARDENING TIPS
* Weed! It's a constant task. The more often you tackle this chore, the easier it will be.
* After all the weeds are gone, it's time to mulch, being careful not to cover up newly emerging plants and staying clear of the trunks of the trees.
* Deadhead faded blossoms of spring bulbs leaving the foliage to die back. This will produce sugars to feed the bulbs for new year's blooms.
* Start your summer seeds. The Maritime NW Garden Guide, by the Seattle Tilth is a great resource for what to grow each month.
* Even if you have a small deck or patio, you can stil enjoy the beauty of gardening by creating a spring container. Here are a few of my favorites for your new container:
Atilbe arendsii 'Bonn'
Heuchera 'Peach Flambe'
Bergenia 'Winter Glow'
Lastly, remember to take time to have a glass of wine and enjoy your garden.