With the evolution of our four seasons, Head Gardener, Marjorie Currey, showcases the ever-changing Gardens at Willows Lodge and shares her tips for the home gardener.
AUTUMN GARDENING TIPS
* Late summer and early autumn is the best time to divide perennials that bloom in the spring and summer.
* Plant trees and shrubs, allowing enough time for roots to develop before freezing temperatures arrive.
* Apply broadleaf weed control to lawns.
* Deadhead perennials and discard dead and diseased foliate to reduce infection next year.
* Begin planting spring flowering bulbs in mid to late September. Hint: if you plant your display of tulips with half stem side down and half flower bud down, you will achieve a longer display as the bud side down bulbs will need to turn in order to push growth.
* Fall is a great time to plant attractive containers Here are a few of my favorites for your container:
Heuchera Coral Bells - "Dolce Licorice" or "Peach Melba"
Festuca Glauca - Blue Oat Grass
Oxalis Vulcanicola "Charmed Wine"
Lastly, remember to take time to have a glass of wine and enjoy your garden.