Gracing the entry drive is a 1,500 year old Western Red Cedar snag collected from a site near the Hood Canal floating bridge in Kitsap County in 1995. This remnant followed the early logging of the old growth timber during the 1880's. It's naturally hollow trunk rendered it useless for lumber, but its hollowness acted as a chimney when the fires followed the logging. Only it's hollowed shell remains as you now see it.
The stone bench installed to the north of the hotel entrance was created by stone craftsman Roger Rosenbach, of Triple-R-Aggregate in Snohomish. Naturally formed as a bench, the basalt rock came from the Reider pit by Gold Bar, Washington. The rich rusty patina is the work of eons of weather "rusting" the iron particles on the stone's surface. The intricate detail of the Willows Lodge logo was meticulously sandblasted into the bench at Roger's studio in Snohomish.
LARGE ROOT MASS
There are several root masses throughout the property, but the largest one resides east of the Fireside Courtyard. This gnarly root system, collected from an alpine lake in the Cascade Mountains, is really composed of three separate trees. The center and largest is a Western Red Cedar. On one side is a Mountain Hemlock and on the other is a Pacific Silver Fir. Merged through several hundred years of close growth, a total fusion occured
The chestnut wood used for the tables in the lobby came from a local Seattle favorite - Green Lake Park and the wood was obtained through the Parks Department.
OUTDOOR SPA SHOWER
The shower stone weighs approximately 4 1/2 tons and was created by Will Robinson.
BARKING FROG PATIO TREE
The dwarf Alpine Hemlock started growing in approximately 1565, making it 454 years old. It's unusual shape was made by the relentless slushy Maritime snow loading.